Are you a recent Software Engineering graduate looking to join an Agile team? Or do you have 3 years industry experience and a passion for learning?
We're a fast-paced, well-funded Web 2.0 business looking for a pro-active software developer to join our talented, self-organizing software development team.
- You are hungry to learn: You actively seek change — always looking for opportunities to improve professionally, and to help your team develop. You read software-related publications, welcome criticism of your work and offer your colleagues honest feedback.
- You're willing to try new things: Want to try your hand at requirements gathering or UI design? If the idea of becoming a Generalizing Specialist appeals, this could be the right job for you.
- You have excellent communication skills: You're comfortable communicating verbally, graphically or in written text, and you’re happy explaining technical concepts to non-technical people.
- You’re qualified and/or experienced: You have a Software Engineering degree, an equivalent certificate from a leading organization (e.g.: IEEE-CS, BCS) or have at least 3 years experience.
- You appreciate a sociable, friendly and supportive working environment: We value technical expertise and encourage developers to exercise their initiative and engage with the business as a whole.This is primarily a Web Development role. Experience or knowledge of Python, Django, GNU/Linux, Git, jQuery, Solr, Postgres and Agile development methodologies is a big plus, but is not required. We simply want someone with the right attitude and we'll help you get up to speed with anything you're not familiar with!
2degrees is the world leading online community for sustainability professionals. We aim to help businesses accelerate their implementation of sustainability and carbon reduction strategies on a global scale.
With offices in Oxford, UK and New York City, we work with leading companies including HSBC, Coca-Cola, BASF, Sony, Marks & Spencer, BP, Shell, Eurostar, Sainsbury’s, Hewlett Packard and Royal Mail.
Working for 2degrees, you'll enjoy:
- A nice office in a great location in Oxford, full of people who are free to be themselves.
- Managers and business people who appreciate technical staff.
- Support in your continuing professional development.
- A competitive salary (dependent upon experience).
About the Software Development Team
- We're in the process of adopting Scrum and have successfully embedded Agile techniques such as Pair Programming, Test-Driven Development and daily stand up meetings.
- We contribute to the Free Software we use and publish our own on GitHub.
- Our recent and current projects include surfacing popular content, simplification of our sign-up process, generation of business reports on site usage, and a major rework of content access permissions which allows us to expose valuable content to non-authenticated users.
- Future projects include a content recommendation system, integration with the Campaign Monitor mailing service, a re-work of our subscription model, user tracking and metrics, and major design and UX improvements across the whole site.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please send us your CV and tell us why you think you're the right person for this job (don't forget to mention any Free Software contributions you've made).